Tuesday, March 10, 2015

It's Teacher's Day -- for everyone else

Happy teacher's day, everyone! It's a day to celebrate educators, thank them for everything they do for students (and society), and just remind them why their jobs are worth it.

Of course, as an instructor, I seem to be stuck in educators' limbo -- we don't get the day off or the glory of being celebrated, and I'm pretty sure we don't deserve it as much as school teachers do. Still, one student actually said "Happy teachers day!" with a smile to me, and it felt nice.

But, other than all the emotional, inspirational stuff surrounding this holiday, an article I read on The Onion that very bitingly pokes fun at the twisted view of teachers: the hard-working, dedicated teacher who is seen as unfair and, excuse my language, a b****h by students, and the hung-over, careless teacher who's loved by students.

As teachers, we know that the result of our efforts is not always immediately tangible -- or appreciated. But we also know that there are a lot of satisfying results, a lot of elements that make it worth it.

And there are a lot of stories that keep people entertained. I first started teaching in kindergarten, and my sister, a big fan of my then class, still asks me to tell her stories about the ridiculous incidents of my day, hilarious, unpredictable, and completely illogical interactions with students. From what students say and do to what I say and do in class. The classroom is a strange mini educational/social/professional context that's immediate and exaggerated in some cases. (I should probably dedicate a post to this, a more serious one.)

Even now, when I teach young adults, serious university students, I have some out-of-body experiences that remind me that some elements of my job are just strange and sometimes hilarious -- in a 90s sitcom kind of way. Meaning that I can stare in horror as things happen, or I can just relax and laugh at them.


This is something I could have heard yesterday, and I understand where it comes from, and the student knows I'll laugh. The student's hopeful, yes, but he knows I know. You know?

And as I comment on papers and grade tests in the hustle and bustle of the semester, this seems to become more and more relevant for both myself and the students -- and then I remind myself there are reasons, goals behind it.



Because, even if students see what I do as the picture below, there's a point.


But, really, what I'm doing is saving lives. It's true -- especially on days when I need to be reminded.


Yes, I'm an English teacher, and to me there's nothing funnier than English teacher jokes -- or more horrifying. Because they're true:



But at the end of the day, really, I love it. So Happy Teachers Day! Enjoy the insanity and the love!

And remember:





No comments:

Post a Comment